Nauplion City, one of the most beautiful towns in Argolis (eastern Peloponnese), as well as one of the most romantic cities all over Greece. Nauplion City was the first capital of the Greek state between 1823 and 1834.
According to mythology, Nauplion City was founded by Náfplios, the son of god Poseidon and the daughter of Danaus, Anymone. Nauplion City’s history traces back to the prehistoric era, when soldiers participated in the Argonautic expedition and the Trojan War.
The town declined during the Roman times and flourished again during the Byzantine times. Frankish, Venetian and Turkish conquerors left their mark in Nauplion City, which strongly influenced its culture, architecture and traditions.
Ancient walls, medieval castles, monuments, Ottoman fountains and Venetian or neoclassical buildings mesmerize the visitor with a unique architecture and beauty. Get your chance with our 2 Day Tour to Mycenae.
• Nauplion City’s precious gems are the medieval old town, the narrow cobblestone alleys, the neoclassical mansions decorated with Bougainvillea Trees and the Turkish fountains.
• The heart of the town, Syntagma Square. Two Turkish mosques: the first “Mutual Learning” School and the home of the first Greek Parliament. The Archaeological Museum and the Municipal Gallery are among the buildings that stand out.
• The church of Agios Spyridonas, in front of which Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias was assassinated. Also, the church of Agios Georgios boasting important murals, such as a copy of the famous Leonardo Da Vinci work “The secret Dinner”.
• The Palamidi Castle, 216 m above sea level and 999 steps carved into the rock. However, the view from there is totally rewarding! Venture into the place where the famous hero of the Greek Revolution Theodore Kolokotronis was imprisoned.
• Akronafplia is the historic rock at the foot of Palamidi hill, also known by its Turkish name “Its Kale” (inner castle). Inhabited since prehistoric times, the peninsula is surrounded by three independent castles. The ancient acropolis was situated here and fortified with Cyclopean walls.
• Arvanitia Promenade, the most popular walk in town. Enjoy a leisurely tour around the town, buy some souvenirs from the Nauplion City, get a delicious meal in Syntagma Square, or have a drink at the port with an amazing view to Bourtzi, which always lights up at night.
Admire the Nauplion with one of our tours:
- One Day Tour To Mycenae, Nauplion and Epidaurus (Argolis)
- 3 Day Tour To Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nauplio, Olympia and Delphi Archaeological Sites
- 4 Day Tour To Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nauplion, Olympia, Delphi and Meteora Monasteries
- 5 Day Tour To Epidaurus, Nauplio, Mycenae, Olympia, Delphi and Meteora Monasteries
- 7 Day Tour In Greece Through the Centuries